Medicinal Use of Saffron
Medicinal uses of saffron
|Nutrition Informationper 100 gr All Red Saffron|
|– DIETARY FIBRE||3.9 g|
|– SATURATED||1.586 g|
|– MONOUNSATURATED||0.429 g|
|– POLYUNSATURATED||2.067 g|
|VITAMIN A||530 IU|
|THIAMINE (VIT. B1)||0.115 mg (10%)|
|RIBOFLAVIN (VIT. B2)||0.267 mg (22%)|
|NIACIN (VIT. B3)||1.460 mg (10%)|
|VITAMIN C||80.8 mg (97%)|
|CALCIUM||111 mg (11%)|
|IRON||11.10 mg (85%)|
|MAGNESIUM||264 mg (74%)|
|PHOSPHORUS||252 mg (36%)|
|POTASSIUM||1724 mg (37%)|
|SODIUM||148 mg (10%)|
|ZINC||1.09 mg (11%)|
|FOLATE[N 1]||93 μg|
|VITAMIN B6||1.010 mg|
Saffron has long been used for medicinal purposes. As with a lot of other herbs, saffron is also useful in the treatment of stomach and gastrointestinal disorders amongst other ailments. Below is a list of the therapeutic properties of saffron and some of the disorders that saffron has been known to treat.
– Saffron stimulates digestion and soothes the stomach.
– Saffron promotes menstruation and helps relieve menstrual aches.
– Research shows that several components of saffron may boost the memory and improve learning skills.
– Saffron is an important antioxidant and helps to protect the body’s cells against damage from free radicals.
– Studies have shown that saffron may be taken in order to combat cancer and slow down tumor growth.
– It has been used as an antidepressant and a general tonic.
– Saffron is a mild sedative.
– Saffron is known to treat Alzheimer’s disease.
– It has been used to relieve muscle cramps and spasms.
– Saffron promotes sweating and perspiration, which is helpful in relieving fevers and high temperatures.
– Saffron is effective in relieving stomach pains.
– Saffron is used in kidney ailments and can also help to reduce the size of an enlarged liver.
– Saffron can relive colic in children.
– Chinese herbal medicine used saffron to treat chest infections and disorders.
– Can be used to reduce headaches.
– Saffron is said to be an aphrodisiac and was used by Cleopatra before lovemaking.
Useful links to current research performed concerning saffron medicinal properties:
Originally posted 2013-04-28 06:20:05.